Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Week 14, The First Trimester Wrap Up

14 weeks prego scan; Fetal age at 12 weeks, but he's actually a week bigger than he's supposed to be!

Eyes shut and heart open. This sums up how I feel on the last week of my neurotic, and verging on extreme paranoia phase, AKA the most sensitive time in a new mom's pregnancy.

So far baba's clinging tight and secretly mumbling "you're not getting away that easy future mommy." 

I'm glad he's proving to be so tenacious.

Yes, I've been calling him a "he" lately. And I blame it all on PIC. He is convinced that his swimmers, in their ultimate sign of strength, will produce him a boy. I was initially convinced I am having a girl but -- I blame my susceptibility to suggestion to the phenomenon called the "mommy brain." (Now if only I can use the same excuse at work...)

Speaking of how convinced PIC is of the fact that we are having a boy -- every time he watches the NBA, he has now gotten into the habit of suddenly bouncing off the couch during commercials, standing straight, with hands reaching high and exclaiming "With the 12th pick of the 2030 NBA draft, the Los Angeles Clippers select Owen "Eklok" Lorneso.... " then goes on to mimic the crowd going wild. 

this week, my box of clothes have also arrived! I'm saved!
I see I've confused you here. Let me explain.

If we are indeed having a boy, we've picked the name Owen. "Eklok" is a play on the Filipino word for Egg. Don't ask. It seems that my husband has a very odd sense of what passes as baby talk. And no, the last one isn't a typo. Apparently as kids, PIC's little sister had trouble with the name Lorenzo and kept saying Lorneso instead. Hence above. Capish?

Back to my story. Well, he did this a couple of times and each time was so very pleased with himself. So one time after he did, I went on to say yea, sounds good. Then as he goes up for his acceptance speech, he goes "Thank you Mommy, I owe this all to you!" with no mention of Daddy. That really would be the coolest thing wouldn't it? I like how PIC, promptly did a stage scream of a very elongated "Noooooooo....."

Needless to say, we've been having lots of fun with the idea of a yet unknown little person we can mold and screw up in a thousand different ways entering our lives in a few months. And as I got my big box of maternity clothes from the post, it just made everything more real and ultimately closer.

However, nothing quite prepared us for our 14th week NT scan. 

As soon as we saw him we were both so happy and amazed and just grinning from ear to ear. Eklok looks like a proper baby now! And he won't stop moving!!

14 weeks and counting
As the radiologist tried to find a second where he'd lie still long enough for her to take snapshots and measurements, we just couldn't stop cooing and remarking at how cute and wriggly he was. He was bouncing and waving, and seemingly got more excited when PIC was talking in the background. He liked having his hand against his cheek when he did lay still, but kept trying to wave away whatever was pressing against him (i.e. the radiologist). Opening and closing his fists, he was adorable. PIC looked so proud, that I must say, I've never seen him as happy as he was in those moments. 

A few things came from that session though. One, baby looks safe from down syndrome. Two, he is a week bigger than he's supposed to be. Three, his heartbeat is 170 and our radiologist wasn't a good sport and wouldn't give us even an indication of gender.

We've hit the nub theory forums and inspected the scan photos all ways we can but are still none the wiser. There are still enough evidence both sides to suggest either boy or girl.

The gender argument. My new neurotic focus for the second trimester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Baby Lists!

That Little Old Lady