Diaries of the Newly Enceinte: The First Trimester (Weeks 9 & 10)

Our first scan. Hello baba!

So its monumental week 9...


Week 9 

Doctors appointment starts the week and the verdict is............? Anticlimactic. Our doctor is a little happy Italian lady with apple cut hair that reminds me of a little fairy god mother. I kept waiting for her to start floating in the air given how much she batted and fluttered her hands, gesturing while talking. PIC has even started referring to her as Prof Umbridge from Harry Potter although I don't quite get that, as she was lovely as pie.

I went there fully thinking she'll do an ultrasound on the spot but instead referred us to a radiologist for a session. She did give me a little preggy pack which had a booklet on being preggy, foods to avoid and go for, plus lots of little freebies (doctors always get tons of freebies!). We also did a quick physical, got a script for more folic acid and iodine and was sent off to do a blood test.

Oh and when she weighed me, she cackled and said its ok to be fat, I'm pregnant. Thanks Doc.

Our ninth week is closing and even without the Omega 3 I still feel like something you scrape from the bottom of a really scummy well. Not good. Still no vomiting, but the endless feeling of queasiness is getting ridiculous. The cramps haven't stopped either, no signs to say they're worrisome, just my tummy expanding to accommodate its guest.

I seem to be hungry every 5 minutes too and fast turning into a fat momma. While the books and blogs say you don't really have to eat for two as your alien hardly needs much at this stage, I don't think the message has quite reached my drowsy brain cells just yet.

Speaking of brain cells, mine seem to be dying. I've had a couple of spazzy moments and I am truly worried -- not the best look when my clients pay me good money to help them with corporate strategies.

We did get to do our blood test and our first scan. Alien is peachy and sports a heartbeat of 149. PIC took one look at the screen and excitedly said "I can see the ear!" while I rolled my eyes and told him he was looking at my uterus. The tiny blob at the bottom of the "ear" is our little alien in his / her entirety.

Bring on the 10th.

Week 10

PIC is the best. Throughout all of this, he has been there absolutely doting and running off to get me whatever I need at the drop of a hat. Sometimes even before I ask. I do try to behave though, as I temper myself and distinguish between real needs and irrational cravings before I voice anything out.

He says hello and kisses my tummy every morning before he shoots off to work and before we go to bed. He's also taken to treating me like a little invalid and has overtaken chores he'd only do at gunpoint in our previous lives.

What I like best though are the little conversations he has with my tummy every now and then. Who knew that the brusque man from Tondo has a cuddly side?

Week 10 is pretty uneventful apart from the fact that I now get breaks from the unending nausea. With that little boon though comes the onset of back pain. Oy, whoever decided women should do this instead of men sure wasn't a mommy. The weeks are moving slower now and all I can think of is how far away I am still from that 12-14th week mark.

BTW, this week my boss semi guessed and after some intense grilling over my really pasty pale face, skipping the Christmas Party and ordering a hot chocolate instead of my usual latte on our regular coffee catch ups -- I buckled and told. He was cute. The whole conversation then transformed to an exchange peppered with "Happy for you!", "Sh*t", "Congratulations again!", "Sh*t", "This is exciting!", "Sh*t", from the coffee place, up the elevator, to just before we reach the office doors. I think he's gotten used to the idea now and is now making silly innuendos about how I am now representing two little people instead of just vertically challenged me.

Also, for someone who is barely over her first trimester my waistline is getting ridiculously jumbo. Apparently most of the weight gain has been isolated to my boobage and my tummy. And because baba is only the size of a grape, I know he/she can't really be made the scapegoat for this.

How can someone with so many food aversions still manage to stuff so much food into her mouth?? So much so that only 2 of my 8 pairs of jeans fit me?? And the ones that do, I never used to wear because they were the wrong size!

One night, changing into my "house shorts", it barely went past my hips and had my thighs looking like sausages in their casing. Running to the sound of my brief exclamation of dismay, PIC took one look at me, assessed my situation then promptly burst into a fit of laughter. To which I stormed off and grabbed a pair of sweatpants instead. Oy, fun times indeed.

My last work week is coming up and then the Queenstown trip. While the nausea has eased, the fatigue is still a constant worry, lets hope I don't cause too much trouble on our mini vacay.

Comments

  1. Congratulations again!
    I love this post... very funny anecdotes and for sure, you will laugh at this when you finally give birth.
    I also have a few posts on pregnancy and babies if you care to check it out - you'll see my 8th-month pic with JT from your wedding in one of the posts, hahaha...
    Just eat right, drink lots of water, and don't over stuff before bedtime - that's the worst feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I am hoping I can keep this up till d-day so we have something fun to look back at. Definitely a fun but challenging time for us. Will surely check out your posts as well, we need all the references we can get!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Baby Lists!