All Hail the Mighty All Blacks: As told from the mind of a clueless fan

I started off the 2011 Rugby World Cup never having watched a match completely from start to finish. It just wasn't something I saw myself completely invested in. Not even  when Sonny Bill Williams showed off his glorious pecs and abs during the All Blacks vs Tonga game.

The Shirtless Magnificence of Sonny Bill Williams (Source: Ozzie News)

I think the first match we ever watched fully was when PIC and I went to the IRL v AUS game at Eden Park. It was a good match, we had good seats but even then that didn't convert us to dedicating ourselves to the game. BUT, it did set a precedent though. Like kids being slowly potty trained to a lifelong habit, we finally made our first successful campaign -- we sat through rugby for over 80 minutes without succumbing to A-D-D.

Then came the All Blacks game vs Argentina, and I swear it felt like there was a force field on our couch as I jumped, squealed, and mangled my pillow without leaving my corner on the sofa. Even more amazing was that after-haze where we remained on our couch for at least another half an hour as we listened to post match recaps, analysis and interviews. By this time, I was gone with the rugby wind.

Hmm, slight qualifier on that statement. I was gone with the All Blacks rugby wind.

As picky as I can be with the places I shop at, the food I eat, and the things I do -- I have now decided that rugby is only worth watching when the ABs are playing. Even when the hardcore fans complain of how messy or sub par they were playing, all I could see were big hulking men running across the pitch in a play of chess meets ballet meets gladiator. There was nothing nice, friendly, or prissy about it, but it still felt like they were all part of this strategic, clinical dance where brute force becomes more of an affirmation of supremacy rather than a necessity.

The Giant Rugby Ball in the Auckland Fan Zone
Am I even making sense? If you've seen a match, or seen the All Blacks play, I think you'd understand.

So next match was with the Wallabies and I think I fell in love with Piri Weepu as my untrained eyes saw how he calmly brought the ball places you would have thought only someone with an aerial view of the game would see. This was also the most brutal game I've ever seen. The men were bleeding everywhere and noses gushing like faucets. But no one cared and the game played on.

Then the final arrived. Its the All Blacks vs France and everyone's thinking this should be a shoo in. Definitely in the bag, but then there is that slight doubt that comes with the unknown. What if.... but no, we can't think dark thoughts. We may be backing black, but all our energies must be as positive as a big fluffy Easter bunny diving into a vat of Willie Wonka's jumping jelly beans. We believe.

By now I am sure you've already heard that the AB's won vs France 8-7 and the whole of NZ let out a Yay! and a Whew! at the same time. It was a close match, neither team budged and you can feel the pressure on both sides. Not even my newfound hero Weepu was immune to the burden of finals night but overall the team prevailed. The show ended with all in smiles bar the Frenchies.

roving flirty flowers at the fan zone
Now that the world cup is officially over, I'd like to take this opportunity to share my immense appreciation for how the Kiwis handled it. Maybe it was borne out of their love for the game, or simply because they really are runners for the nicest people in the world award but man did they take welcoming visitors to their country to a whole new level!

Sure they had issues with public transport opening night but hey that is tiny compared to all their other successes. The idea of fan zones on different parts of NZ that collected groups and made the atmosphere more festive was genius. Volunteers sprinkled everywhere making sure you were fine, checking if you enjoyed the game, and cheering you on even if your team lost just gave you that big sense of family. And where else would you hear stories of a man going to the live match with a ticket, bumping into a tourist who lost his, and just inviting this man home so they can both watch the game on TV?

Go Kiwis, not only for winning the Rugby World Cup but more importantly, for showing the world what the world "welcome" truly means! I have never been more proud to be part of New Zealand than I have been the last month and a half!

The Cloud - newly erected as the fan zone centerpiece for RWC 2011
a taste of NZ food & wine
love the sheep lamps
The first of 2 giant screens at the Cloud where you can watch the games live
What I would not give to have one of these at home... Imagine watching Freddie Krueger on one of these
There were tons of displays inside, PIC had a go at the jet pack
Outside, Dave Dobbins was playing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Baby Lists!

That Little Old Lady