Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Silly PIC

My birthday dinner date... 

So for the last couple of posts, facebook statuses, and tweets, its been all about me. But then I thought, what about the instigator? The main culprit of this show? The man who has always wanted a kid but has patiently waited for me to let my guard down to sneak one in.

Yes folks, I'm talking about PIC. The future daddy.

So apart from all the cutesy, sweet stuff that has gone on overdrive since becoming pregnant -- I love the fact that I am even more spoiled than I used to be. And I am over the moon at the level of participation he's poured into this. He has opinions on every little baby purchase we make, insisting his baby NEEDS this and that. He's never missed a doctor's appointment or a scan appointment even when its a bit of a stretch to get out of work. And the piece de resistance? He's finally learning to drive on the other side of the road.

For those who know us, AMAZING, right? For those who don't -- well PIC has a Philippine driver's license but never really needed it as he preferred public transport, his brothers commanded the two family cars, and I always drove. When we moved overseas, I still needed to drive and he never needed to. So it would easily be a decade at least since he last drove a moving vehicle. This time though, without any prompting, he's taken the driver theory test, passed, and is now practicing on our car. A-mazing.

So because, he's being an awesome future dad, partner, husband, and best friend -- here's a collection of PIC-isms that needed to be shared:

"Tummy"

While getting ready for work one morning, PIC gives me this look and tongue-in-cheek goes: Your tummy is getting bigger, you're eating too much mwahahahahaha!

[Filipino: Ang laki na ng tyan mo no? Kain ka kasi ng kain e mwahahahahaha]

"Rolling, rolling, rolling"

One night, getting out of bed to plug in my charger, I rolled off it, and whined to PIC: Now that my tummy is getting bigger and our bed being so high, its getting harder to get in and out of it. These days, I just roll myself off it.  

I had my back to him, but turned around when I heard him snigger behind me. Caught laughing, he came close, bent over slightly, touched both hands to my ginormous ass, slowly nudged me while saying in a soft kiddie sing song voice: Rolling, rolling, rolling

"Cellulite"

While watching TV, PIC absentmindedly moves his hand up and down my thighs between where my shorts end and my knee begins. Stops, then looks at me inquiringly: You have grooves on your thighs.

Me: So?
PIC: They weren't there before.
Not really sure if he was kidding or seriously wondering, I responded: They're cellulite.
Then it dawns on him. And he promptly bursts out laughing. 

"Grumpy Daddy"

After sharing with my siblings how their future niece is at the 78th percentile of baby sizes at her age, how she's a week bigger than she's supposed to be, and how when they measured her waist it almost filled out a perfect circle - I've started calling my baby little miss tabachoy (fatty) and giggling, thinking of it as a cute little endearment. My mistake was doing that with PIC within earshot.

In a gruff tone, PIC growls: Don't call MY baby that. She'll end up with a complex! 

Daddy was not impressed with mommy. Also marking the end of that monicker.

"Holiday"

With our last baby free vacation coming up (PIC is determined never to go on vacation or a valentines date without baby ever - imagine that!) PIC worries about my capacity to walk all over town for two weeks and suggests we hire a wheelchair.
To which, I promptly respond: H*ll no! I'm not an invalid
PIC: You're just afraid of letting me push you around in a chair
Me: Exactly, you'd probably roll me off a cliff or a steep slope...
PIC: Of course I wouldn't. You have eklok (another baby nickname).
Me: !?#@*!!

We have so many more stories but these were the ones that made me smile the most. PIC is already telling me he loves baby more than me, and from the moment we got pregnant I have been relegated to number two. When I talk to my tummy he even inserts comments supposedly from Aoife aka Eklok where dad and child would gang up on mommy as the evil outsider. Funny part is, I don't mind. In fact, I have the biggest grin when he says things like that.

To the easily offended, these stories may not be impressive, they may even be considered rude. But then I've always known that our greatest strengths as a couple were to be able to bag each other, laugh at each other, and laugh at ourselves.

I'm lucky I found a silly PIC to match silly little me. Thank you PIC for 14 years of your patience, laughter and silliness. We got married after our first 7 years together and now we're having a baby on our 14th year. Can't wait to see what the next milestone brings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Baby Lists!

That Little Old Lady