Diaries of the Newly Enceinte: The Beginning

Once to know, and Twice for Good Measure

After years and years of being pushed and prodded, PIC and I have finally entered the very adult waters of planning a family. I've always said I'd want to have one before I turned 35, and I guess anywhere between 32 & 33 would be a good place to have the little bugga. 

As with all things, we started this project with tons of reading and reflection over how our friends have done on this front. We eventually decided that if we are going to do this, we should start early. Try for a year at least. Give us some time before we talk about options like IVF, adoption and so forth. As you might notice, we're pretty open about all our options and we like to think we had everything pretty laid out and planned.

The one thing we didn't count on, was the effectiveness of our plan.

For the first time, I actually paid attention to my "cycle" and counted, and scheduled a usually spontaneous thing filled with love, sensuality, and hey, lets admit it - fun, into our busy calendar. After the deed was done though, I promptly forgot about it and PIC wasn't pushed either way. At this stage we were so convinced it was going to take us a couple of go's that we went about our usual dramas as normal.

Five weeks later, after a rather emotional reaction to something I would normally laugh off, the wheels in my head started creaking. I don't have the most regular cycle but passing the 4 week mark and verging on five is not something to scoff at. Could it be? So on the drive home, I bought a two pack of Clear Blue pregnancy kit and did the nasty on the stick. 

I stayed there waiting for the results, half dreading what it would be. In my head, phrases like "OMG!", "This is too soon!", "What about our plans?", "Oooh, our parents are going to be ecstatic!", "What is my boss going to say??", started zipping like ping pongs on steroids in the mush I like to call my brain.

It was the longest 2 minutes of my life.

And as I watched intently, slowly that blue line started to appear and cross the one that appeared ages ago. I looked at it and started laughing. And slowly in my chest I felt this cuddly warmth that slowly spread and wrapped my heart in a little hug. I looked at it again, made sure I was reading it right and stopped. I am pregnant! And I am surprisingly ecstatic about it. 

I guess there never is a right time for it and you are never truly ready for something this big -- but in that moment I knew. This is our time. I am happy and I am ready. Hello baba, I'm going to be your mommy. Now let's ring your daddy and give him a heart attack...

Comments

  1. so happy for you guys!!! this is the best christmas gift ever :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!!! CONGRATZ!!!!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!! I CAN'T EXPRESS MORE THAN THIS, I WAS SO HAPPY THAT I'M SPEECHLESS, WE'RE ALL VERY EXCITED FOR BOTH OF YOU!!! GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY!!! WE MISS YOU BOTH!!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON AND YOUR BABA!!! :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Baby Lists!