My Soccer MOMent

I learned to play soccer today.

I really don't know how I get into these things, but as I always say, try everything at least once!

Source: A Novel Menagerie

So when our office soccer team needed girl players I was in -- with the massive caveat that I've never played before but can be used to build up the numbers.

By game time, we were still short one girl out of the mandatory three women players. Also at this stage I was thinking, maybe it would have been a good idea to read the rules of the game before driving over. Oh well, what can you do eh?

The game lasted 50 minutes with no subs for us women and neither of us knowing where to stand or what to do. A few miserable attempts at kicking and blocking with my hands and I decided I'm better off reverting to what I know best from my mediocre tag days -- running and sticking to an opposing player like glue. 

At least I wanted to stick to them like glue. Effort combined with willpower is always a good thing I think. But once that ball started moving, I think my brain just shuts down and freaks out because I know I won't be able to do anything to stop it. So what did I do? I still kept to my player, and got in the way. 

The funny thing was, this tactic actually worked! I actually blocked a few kicks with my body just by standing there and frustrated a few players enough for them to pass the ball to someone else. So at least I was doing something right. I think.

Who knows, maybe by the end of the season I might even start to learn the rules ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diaries of the Newly Enciente: Baby Lists!

That Little Old Lady